Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stress....

Can I just say that I hate what stress does to diabetes? Truly... you get stressed, so your blood sugars go up, which stresses you out even more, which raises the blood sugars even more. How cruel can we get here? I have always (as long as I have been getting stressed anyway) had a hard time dealing with how to manage blood sugars during times of stress. For me, I go up... sometimes, WAY up! It's very similar to what the adrenaline rush of going on a roller coaster for the first time does to my blood sugar. How do you deal with stress highs? For me, they EVENTUALLY come back down, but it sometimes takes a while, sometimes even days if it's stress from a final exam or practical performance exam in nursing school looming in the near future. I have tried doing temporary basal increases to fend off the highs from stress, but then I end up with overnight lows. So, I try doing a temp basal for my waking hours, and leaving my basals how they always are for the overnight hours. The problem with this is, you don't always have the same stress level hour to hour during the day. Do you just correct for them and move on feeling like complete crap from the high? That's not very fun.

So, readers (and I hope I actually have readers today) I ask you... HOW DO YOU MANAGE DIABETES DURING STRESSFUL TIMES... WHEN YOUR BLOOD SUGARS GO UP FROM STRESS PARTICULARLY? Please leave your thoughts and comments, and maybe more than just me can be helped by advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment